Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Frutas y Verduras

I would like to take the time to point out the differences in produce here and produce back in the States. I do my shopping at the market and supermarket a couple blocks away. Now, I'm not exactly sure where the fruits and veggies are coming from in the supermarket (could be close by, could be Argentina) but usually the fruits and veggies in the stands at the market come from local farms and gardens and there is such a difference in size from what I'm used to back home. I'm sure here there are no growth hormone genes and whatever else is put into our American produce, does this mean these are the fruits and veggies true sizes???
And at some point my garden will be ready! (If the cats don't jump on it first)...






My Wee Garden

Cantalope (Melón)

Pineapple (Piña)

Green Pepper (Locote)

Cucumber (Pepiño)

2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE that basically every 3rd or 4th house is an almacen and I can buy locally. The fruits and veggies seem so much richer and fresher here to us. I was saying today that it seems every meal I cook now includes locote and tomato, and the occasional onion if hubby is looking. I haven't figured out what to do with those round squash thingies with the warts, though. Got any good recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do taste better! I bought broccoli from Asuncion this weekend and it was so good raw. Didn't taste as bitter or something. Not sure about the wart squash but I bet there's something in the Peace Corps recipe book I have!

    ReplyDelete